Trends in Digital Forensics, and news

I ran across a Dr. Dobbs article of the same name as the title of this post...very interesting. The subtitle is Are "live" investigations are the trend we are heading towards?

An interesting quote from the article:
Thus the new trend in digital forensics is to to use the corporate network to immediately respond to incidents.

Hhhhmmm...this sounds pretty definitive.

My thoughts on the article are two-fold. First, I have to ask...is this, in fact, the trend (or at least a coming trend that we're seeing more of)? Are IT and IR teams using tools like those mentioned in the article (Encase, Wetstone's LiveWire - I have to wonder why the author doesn't mention ProDiscover) to perform incident response via the network? If so, how effective are these efforts?

Overall, the author discusses "live investigations" (which is cool, because my next book covers that, in part) but I have to wonder how much this is being done, and how effective it is.

Now for the "news"...there's a new CyberSpeak podcast out, I just downloaded it and still have to listen to it. I took a look at the show notes (which have moved) and saw that Jesse Kornblum is again being interviewed. Very cool. One of the news items I picked up from the show notes was about a guy in the UK who took over young girls' computers and extorted them into sending him dirty pictures of themselves. The scary thing about the article isn't things like this:

...used some of the most advanced computer programmes seen by police to hack into their PCs...

One of the youngsters said his level of expertise and his power over her PC reminded her of the cult science fiction film Matrix.

Well, okay...I take it back...maybe those excerpts do represent some scary things about the article..."scary" in the sense that an email-borne Trojan of some kind is equated to level of technology seen in the Matrix. Or maybe it's the fact that according to the article, these kids actually fell prey to this guy and sent the pictures, rather than notifying their parents.

Okay, I'm off to listen to the show...