My Legislative Blogging Ban Is Over

I'm not sure if that is the best headline, but it's the most positive for this story.  I came to Juneau two weeks ago to be a volunteer staffer in Rep. Max Gruenberg's office.  When I got here I went to two days of staff training.  Then the legislature officially opened the next Tuesday.  It was during training that I learned that there was a problem with my approval as a volunteer.  But at Rep. G's encouragement I started working as a staffer.  People have been extremely welcoming and helpful.  I've been to meetings with my boss in various legislators' offices to discuss pending legislation.  I've also worked hard getting up to speed on bills I was to follow and the State Affairs Committee.  I've been learning how bills get packaged and delivered so they can be discussed in committee and also what the Legislative Research and the Legal Research offices do.  And I've been to a couple of receptions for legislators and staffers after hours.  A lot has happened since we arrived January 13.   

But there was also some significant conflict over the appointment.  The Rules Chair must approve all staff and volunteers and interns. I learned that the Chair had a problem with full time volunteers shortly after I got to Juneau.  Blogging was going to be tricky while working for a legislator in any case, but given the conflict I backed off of legislative blogging altogether until that was settled.  I knew that my position might not last.  Yesterday (Tuesday) I learned about the decision and the reason for the opposition. There was concern about fairness and liability. I was assured it wasn't about me personally.  The Rules Chair and I talked Tuesday afternoon.  It was cordial.  I understand the decision.  She has also suggested a committee that would include herself, Rep. G., and the House Minority Leader, and possibly others, and she invited me to sit on it, as a public member, to develop new policy on the use of volunteers in the House.

We also discussed that I'd planned to stay here for the session, that we've got an apartment for three months.  Since I won't be able to staff in Rep. G's office, I said I wanted to blog the legislature.  She said that would be no problem and I should feel free to do so. 

So it looks like I'm back to blogging and I hope I can give an interesting and informative peek into what it's like in Juneau during the legislative session.  Don't expect personal gossip.  I'll try to be as objective as possible reporting what's happening in and around the Capitol.  I'll write about legislation, procedures, about what legislators, staff, and the people around them do.  I'll try to post a picture of life in Juneau while the session is on.  I'm only one person, so this will just be the small portion I can cover.  But I'll do my best.

While I'm still transitioning from one identity to another, I want to thank everyone who was so nice and patient with me as I tried figure out what I was doing.  You were all so very understanding and kind.  And I want to thank Rep. Gruenberg for inviting me to Juneau in the first place.  Today I went in to hand off my projects to the other two staffers in the office.  And now I'm transforming into a legislative blogger.

Meanwhile, my wife is already busy volunteering as an English as a Second Language (ESL) tutor, getting involved with an after school homework club program, and taking Tai Chi class.