VMWare Workstation 9.0.1 and Linux Kernel 3.6

VMWare Workstation 9.0.1 along with VMWare Player 5.0.1 has been released by VMWare. This is a maintenance release, focusing on fixing bugs that has been found since their first major release of VMWare Workstation 9.0.0 some time ago. On this release, Ubuntu 12.10 and Solaris 11 has been added as host and guest (only guest for Solaris). For complete changes, please refer to their Release Notes.

I was kinda reluctant to test this version as previous version was a disaster and it failed completely on my machine, so i tried to stay away from VMWare Workstation 9 until VMWare updated their product. But then i looked at the release note and found out that they fixed the problem with Linux Kernel 3.5 and i was hoping for good news.

First, i tested on my workstation and surprisingly, i found it smoother than i thought. I don't need to find any patches in order to have this product work with Linux Kernel 3.6 (I'm using Linux Kernel 3.6.6). After confirming it to work on my workstation, i perform the same routine on my desktop and it's also working well.

On both of my system, i have to perform the installation twice or i will get an error on virtual ethernet. I don't know why, but after reinstalling for the second time, there was no error again and i'm happy with that instead of finding patches just to make this whole thing worked like i intended.

Welcome back VMWare Workstation on Slackware :)