Build your own GlowOrb, so you’ll always know when to open a window @Raspberry_Pi #PiDay #RaspberryPi

Glowbox orb 768x576

Via IBM’s Internet of Things blog.

Visual alerts show when the carbon dioxide levels are getting high in meeting rooms at IBM’s IoT HQ in Munich. They use the building’s carbon dioxide sensors combined with GlowOrbs, designed and made by IBM’s Andy Stanford-Clark, to highlight when it is time to open a window.

I decided to make an “at home” version. I discovered most carbon dioxide sensors are rather expensive. The cheapest carbon dioxide sensor I found was the Rehau USB Stick Ambient Air Sensor. Not only does this detect carbon dioxide, it also detects many volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as ethanol, alcohol, benzene etc. I discovered, and I am blaming the cat for this, it can also work as a fartometer.

Read more.



from Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! http://ift.tt/2sxSjqc
via IFTTT