How to auto-connect your Raspberry Pi to a hidden SSID WiFi network #piday #raspberrypi @Raspberry_Pi

NewImage

Via Raspi.tv

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B that acts as a web server for my temperature sensing network. I also use the same Pi for my Pi Word of the day tweets. It’s been pottering along fine for a long time. But last week we had a power outage while we had smart meters installed.

For ‘network management’ reasons that I won’t go into, I’d recently decided to ‘hide’ the SSID (Service Set Identifier) of the router this Pi was connected to. I had thought it would automatically connect, having been connected before. But it didn’t, so I had to connect a keyboard and screen to the Pi, log into the router, make the SSID visible, then retype the password and let it connect again.

That was all a bit of a faff.

“There has to be a better way. Someone must have done this before!” I want it to be hands-free and automatic on booting.

So I googled “connect to hidden SSID on raspberry pi” and came up with a nice blog page with a procedure in. I tried it on my Pi3 with Jessie (a few months old) but it didn’t work for me (it was a bit out of date). I had a quick glance through the comments on that page and found the magic key which made it work.

Read more.


3055 06Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!



from Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! http://ift.tt/2tZAAdh
via IFTTT