A Personal Retro Tech Collection

via MOTHERBOARD

Ours was of particular interest thanks to the collection of old machines amassed by my father, Barry. There was the Palm Pilot V, 1970s red princess landline phone, Sanyo tape recorder, VCRs and floppy discs and hard drives––all once used, now sitting in darkness, collecting dust or waiting to be stripped for parts.

So far, he and I have taken over 100 portraits. But there are more to go––and many more origin stories for me to hear. Despite spending much of my childhood building LEGOs while Barry created a new Frankensteinian contraption nearby, I am still learning new bits of information about his interest in technology and the collection that it spawned, trying to absorb all the memories and moments before my parents eventually decide to move.

“The changes that have happened in technology have been quite immeasurable,” my dad said during one of our weekly calls, as we discussed the inevitable end to his gadget pile. “At some point in time,” he added, “I am going to have to part with it.”

See more!



from Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! http://ift.tt/2wB2eKv
via IFTTT