Puppet Mode Teddy Ruxpin @Raspberry_Pi #PiDay #RaspberryPi

Made by Donald Willingham  via hackster.io

My wife had a Teddy Ruxpin as a kid until it took a nose dive off of the top bunk of a bed. Shortly after, I ran across a hackaday reference to Tinkernut’s Teddy Ruxpin. She almost immediately order a pair of ‘not functioning’ Teddy Ruxpins off of ebay. One was a World of Wonder (Version 1 metal tape deck), and another was a later YES! Entertainment version. An audio cassette was included.

I followed the Tinkernut video for how to replace the servos. I used some Tower Pro SG90 servos. Ensure you save all the gears, as some of them need to be re-used. It might be nice to 3d-print replacement servo enclosures, but the hot glue is still doing it’s job.

Instead of using an Arduino to generate the PWM signals to the servos, I used ServoBlaster on a Raspberry Pi. I know there are PiHats that generate better hardware PWM signals, but doing it in software on a Pi 3 is sufficient here. Be sure to pay attention to the ServoBlaster’s output. Ensure you get the pin numbers and the GPIO numbers straight.

I hooked up a USB to Playstation 1-2 controller adapter, and an old Playstation controller. I wrote a perl script to read the joystick inputs, and map them to joystick outputs. Since the joystick has two analog X/Y sticks, I mapped one to the eyes, and the other to the mouth. The mouth is made up of two servos, so I just send the same value to both.

See full project breakdown here!


3055 06Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!