James McLurkin visits Adafruit @adafruit #adafruit #ai #aiy @google

P1000743

P1000745

P1000752

James Mclurkin

James McLurkin, Senior Hardware Engineer at Google, stopped by Adafruit, we chatted about making things and empowering people to make things, including the AIY Vision kit (recently on Hackaday) and the AIY Voice klt

More soon 🙂

I am a robotics engineer with 20+ years of experience in the field, both as an industry project lead and an award-winning researcher at MIT and Rice University. I’m a thought leader in multi-robot systems, having led engineering teams in building 2 different swarms with 100+ robots each. My interests are broad; but I’m only happy working on challenging projects involving electrical/mechanical/computational integration. I’m at Google now, developing cool new gizmos, returning to my roots as a hardware engineer.

You can learn more about my previous work as director of the Rice Multi-Robot Systems Lab here:
http://mrsl.rice.edu/

Recent research projects include using distributed computational geometry for multi-robot configuration estimation and control, distributed multi-robot manipulation, and deploying physical data structures for computation on multi-robot systems. Previous positions include lead research scientist at iRobot corporation, where McLurkin was the manager of the DARPA-funded Swarm project. Results included the design and construction of 112 robots and distributed configuration control algorithms, including robust software to search indoor environments. I hold a S.B. in Electrical Engineering with a Minor in Mechanical Engineering from M.I.T., a M.S. in Electrical Engineering from University of California, Berkeley, and a S.M. and Ph.D. in Computer Science from M.I.T.

Honey Bee Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_D64MylIUQ

Robots for Everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2KpNS3xCg

More: