Time Lapse of a Man Building a Log Cabin All By Himself!

My Self Reliance‘s Youtube channel is amazing!

NOTICE: TURN YOUR SOUND WAY UP! Sorry, my mic failed on me so my audio is excruciatingly low. My Self Reflections was unusable so I’ll film another segment later in the week.
Continuing with the log cabin construction, I cover the inside of the door in leather using a similar technique that I used on the carved footstool that you see in the cabin.
I also finish the icebox in the floor so that I can start storing food below ground, hopefully preserving it for much longer than it would in the hot (or freezing) cabin. Homesteading off grid means I need to come up with more ways to harvest, cook and preserve food for long term storage, probably my greatest challenge in this long term wilderness homesteading experiment.
With the freezing winter temperatures we have been getting this winter, I am burning a lot of wood and I am spending a lot of time gathering it, cutting, splitting, buying, etc. Bringing it from the road to the cabin is mostly uphill and it takes a lot of time.
One thing about the cold is that it doesn’t usually snow as much as it does when it’s warm and snow squalls come off of Georgian Bay. I have to shovel some snow, but not much and I haven’t needed to shovel off the roof yet.
There’s a pesky red squirrel trying to get into the cabin and I shoo him away from the logs on the front of the cabin, but he simply jumped down and hid in my stack of firewood.
Living offgrid is challenging and hard work, but there is no schedule so I am able to work at my own pace and do some relaxing around the fire with a good book.
Cali, our golden retriever, wanders around in the first part of the video, but I’m alone for the final couple of days as my wife is off with the dog.

See more!



from Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! http://ift.tt/2D6WeNK
via IFTTT