Moving to 64 bit

When i bought my new desktop at home, i already had a plan to reinstall my old desktop with Slackware64, but i didn't specify the timeframe or even the version i'm going to install with. The old one was 32 bit since i got it installed since 2009 and it has been working well so far, but it's getting slower for my needs where i got to use virtual machines to build packages for MATE and Cinnamon. It is a dual-core E5300 Intel CPU with 4 GB of RAM, 320 GB + 1 TB hard drive, and NVidia GeForce 7050.

Last week, i decided to try to remove Slackware from my old laptop and replace it with Solus 3. It was a great distro and it worked well on my laptop and probably my family could use it since i have a new laptop in place since last year. So yesterday i had an idea to try Solus 3 on my old desktop and instantly i reinstalled it using Solus 3 written to a flash drive. Everything was perfectly good until i need to install the NVidia driver legacy (304.xx). It wasn't working well on my system, so i decided it was a good idea to return back to Slackware, but this time it's 64 bit. So i installed Slackware64-14.2 from an official DVD i got from Slackware Store and have it ready in no time, thanks to the local repository i had on my computer. Installation was fast as usual and got everything upgraded to the latest -stable updates.

I'm waiting for the next Slackware 15.0 gets released and i'm going to upgrade this machine to 15.0. I'm pretty sure it's going to be another rock-solid release since i have been using it on my new desktop and laptop. It can be considered as a testbed for migrating the servers to Slackware 15.0 as well.

With this migration, i'm saying good bye to 32 bit architecture. It was a pleasant journey since my old time in elementary school where i got to learn computers for the first time, but it's now the 64 bit era for me. It was a little bit late, but at the end i move on. I do still have 1 machine that's using 32 bit, which is my wife's computer and i will probably leave that for now since it's working well and it's still good enough for her and kids' requirements.