Wunderscan by Brian C. #piday #raspberrypi @Raspberry_Pi

This was sent into us by Brian C.

Here’s what they had to say:

Hi Adafruit! I recently found a dead scanner at a local reuse
store and decided to try to revive it. The final product is a Raspberry Pi
Zero W controlled scanner that posts items to my family’s shared grocery
list. Now if we run out of a spice or favorite snack, we can simply scan it
to create a reminder to get more the next time one of us is at the store.

From his site:

I didn’t actually plan this project, but rather it found me. I was at the Scrap Exchange, a local reuse center, when I found a very nice looking scanner that you might find at a grocery store kiosk. It had been ripped from its connectors and had unlabeled wires hanging from it; a bit of hardware gore if such a thing exists. It was labelled on sale for $6.25, and a quick search revealed that it originally retailed at over $500. I thought a great use of this would be to keep near our pantry so that when we are out of a spice or snack, we could just scan the item and it would get posted to our shopping list. I figured I would try to reverse engineer it, and if all else fails, scrap it for the laser and motor. This is a longer post that goes through the entire process, so strap in!

Thanks for sending this in Brian!

Read more about this project here.


3055 06Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!



from Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! https://ift.tt/2IiaaKM
via IFTTT