Using FPGA’s for audio processing

jaeblog , the Just another electronics blog writes:

FPGA’s are cool, Digital Signal Processing is cool and audio is a nice way to show it.

To get a bit better at working with FPGA’s and see if I remembered anything from DSP classes I started working on a project to combine those two. I had a board laying around with an I2S ADC/DAC that doesn’t need any configuration so the plan was to read in the audio data, process it and spit it back out. For the processing I choose to use the digital biquad filter, a fairly simple filter that can be used for a multitude of purposes. It can be used as a lowpass, highpass, bandpass, notch filter and even more. In the end I the result is that the FPGA reads in the audio data, can apply a maximum of 11 biquad filters (more are possible) and spits it back out.

I2S

See the blog post for the full treatment and work.