The "Getting Into Infosec" Podcast

Hey all! I was recently featured in an interview on a podcast all about getting into the Infosec field. This is an important subject to me, and something I've wanted to write on for awhile. Getting into Infosec as an outsider can be a daunting subject, and it's usually one of the most common questions, "where does someone even start?". While a lot of people have written blog posts on getting into Infosec, I think this podcast takes a unique approach in that it asks people for their personal story or journey to getting a job in information security. Most people will give you a digest or a path to follow, but rarely will they tell you their personal story. The entire podcast is an epic series of interviews with people from all different backgrounds, now Infosec professionals, and their stories of how they got into Infosec and learned their skills. You can find the entire series here:
https://gettingintoinfosec.simplecast.fm/

As Ayman highlights in his description of our interview, we cover the following and more:
  • My introduction to programming.
  • How I became involved in information security.
  • My early experiences as a pen-tester and why it’s difficult to get hands-on experience in that field.
  • The benefits of becoming an Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP).
  • What does a red team do in an organization, and how is it different from pen-testing?
  • I describes the day-to-day life of an internal red-teamer and the kind of conflicts they can run into.
  • A few war stories from the trenches, as well as some of the tools pen-testers use.
  • Some of my earliest hacking experiences, and the ways my parents fostered my interests and mentality.
  • What conferences should InfoSec beginners check out?
  • Fun and beneficial ways you can “hack” reading.
  • Some tips for those starting off or looking to transition into Infosec.
  • An in-depth look at one of the newer tools I wrote, gscript.
  • The rules and some intricacies of InfoSec competitions.
  • Lots more!