From the mail bag…

Mailbag animated

From the mail bag!

Hello Adafruit,

So I’ve been wanting to share this story about how I got connected (or maybe addicted haha) to Adafruit. I was helping my 14 year old daughter Vicky with her school science project a few months ago (monitor plant/soil moisture and automatically water as needed using only solar power) and bought an Arduino Uno starter kit from Amazon. All seemed to be going well and we were working thru learning enough about Arduino to get the project going. The most painful part was getting an LCD going to display live information. Sadly the LCD was also purchased on Amazon and there was no support or instructions to get it working. No problem, I’m a network engineer and I’m used to figuring things out…..so as I put my google-fu to work I keep finding Adafruit…in many libraries….tutorials….everywhere. So I start looking around on the site and buy a few items….see the cool looking lady with the pink hair here and there. I tend to be fairly tunnel visioned when working out technical issues so didn’t realize for at least 2 months that this was a female owned company! How cool is that? The initial motivation for learning this stuff was to encourage my daughter to learn engineering skills and here I am buying products to teach her from a female engineer owned company without even realizing it. BTW – science project got a full 100% grade. Can’t wait to get Vicky going on the soon to start AdaBox!

THANK YOU for being you Adafruit! I love the “learning site with a gift shop” way of doing things. The tutorials have definitely made learning a wide range of technologies incredibly easy and provide just the right amount of foundation to go make whatever we want with the products.

BIG THANKS to Tony D as well! Loved the “wifi things” series and now micropython!

-Matt