Detailed build of a vintage 386 PC #VintageComputing #RetroComputing

386 Build: 3 Floppy Drives, SD card, Networking

YouTube user flash /me back provides a very detailed build of a vintage 80386 computer system.

This is the final part of my 386 machine build series. Sadly, the 386SX mainboard died after briefly coming back to life in the last video. I went hunting for a new one and found a gem of a 386DX40 mainboard. Its BIOS supports 4 floppy drives, but for reasons I only had space for three. But how often have you seen more than two floppy drives on a DOS computer?

I’m also adding a network adapter so I can go online with this machine. All the hardware I am using gets a major refurbishment and cleaning before using. This results in a very pleasing to look at computer in a relatively small case. I’m really happy with the outcome of this and I hope you enjoy it, too!

I can confirm, support for more than two floppies, even this early in PC history is rather rare. Watch the video below for a special treat in the build of this classic computer.