The curious case of the Raspberry Pi in the network closet #piday #raspberrypi @Raspberry_Pi

Hdkhikv83m

Blogger Christian Haschek chronicles how they “found, analyzed (with the help of Reddit) and in the end caught the culprit of a malicious device in our network.” Interesting detective work:

Last week I got a message from a co-worker with an image attached.

I asked him to unplug it, store it in a safe location, take photos of all parts and to make an image from the SD card (since I mostly work remote). I have worked on many Raspberry Pi projects and I felt confident I could find out what it does.

At this point nobody thought it was going to be malicious, more like one of our staffers was playing around with something.

There were 3 parts:

  • A Raspberry Pi b first generation
    a mysterious USB dongle
    a 16GB sd card (a fast one)

See more!


3055 06Each Friday is PiDay here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts, tutorials and new Raspberry Pi related products. Adafruit has the largest and best selection of Raspberry Pi accessories and all the code & tutorials to get you up and running in no time!