What XOLO’s comeback tells us about Indian manufacturers

Where are the Indian smartphone manufacturers these days? Where have they gone? This question has been on my mind for a while. Brands like Micromax and Yu, Lava and XOLO have largely disappeared from the scene this past year or two. Our market is inundated with devices from Chinese manufacturers like Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo and Huawei, Taiwanese brands like ASUS and even Vietnamese brands like Mobiistar. Sure, there is an exception in Smartron, but largely, the Indian brands were nowhere to be seen in 2018. When XOLO invited me to their event, conveniently titled "A new era" where they launched two new devices, I was pleasantly surprised. Before checking the devices out, I had a quick chat with Sunil Raina from XOLO and I'd like to share what I thought about XOLO's comeback and what it tells us about Indian manufacturers. At the event, the first thing I got to know was that XOLO is still one of the very few Indian companies that has complete control over the entire chain of production from design to manufacturing. True to some extent, the devices are indeed manufactured in Lava's factory, Noida. I say some extent because there are several dependencies that are outside ...

Read Here»