Building Animatronic Robot Heads #Robotics

James Bruton shared this video on Youtube!

I built animatronic robot heads for my Performance Robots series. These robots are intended to be reliable, robust and transportable so they can visit various shows and take place in various collaborations. My ultimate aim is to add intelligence to a live performance so that the audience can interact.

The robots are controlled by DMX, and so the heads are separate DMX devices which means they can operate independently if required. The front panels have a number of (a lot) LEDs so that I can display animations. Each head has three servos to give the three degrees of freedom at the neck – each one is a separate DMX channel.

I need to build hands next as well as some more cosmetic panels, but we’ll see!

See more!