This is what it’s like to be one of the few Hispanic women leading a company #HispanicHeritageMonth #MakerBusiness

NewImage

There are unique challenges that come with being a Hispanic women leading a company. As an underrepresented group of an underrepresented group these challenges can compound. This article talks to a few high powered women to learn about these adversities.

Via Fast Company:

…Hispanic women-owned businesses represent nearly half of all Hispanic firms. However, access to capital, a major facilitator of business growth, isn’t available to them as readily, according to a report from Stanford. And Hispanic women’s equal pay day–the additional number of days in the year they have to work to equal a white man’s pay–isn’t until November 2.

Despite these significant challenges, Latinx leaders continue to blaze a trail for others to follow. Here’s what they told us about the opportunities they’re leveraging to make a difference.

I 1 8 hispanic women executives reveal their challenges and opportunities to lead

I would say that my greatest challenge and opportunity as a Latinx leader in tech has been the same: showing up authentically. As a Latina woman in tech, I’ve often felt like the “only” in the room, and as someone who passes, I’ve sometimes felt like an illegitimate member of my own community. I think that my role as global head of Diversity & Belonging at Atlassian has fundamentally changed this for me. When you spend enough time helping people feel that their identities are valid and important, it can’t help but rub off on you, and you start to believe it yourself….–Aubrey Blanche, Global Head of Diversity & Belonging at Atlassian

Read more and see the rest!