Fiber Optic Wings #WearableWednesday

FR88ZJTJYZ1FG7N LARGE

Natalina shared this incredible project on Instructables!

It’s been a while since I dug into a meaty project, so when Joel from Ants on a Melon asked me to make a costume piece for the launch of his new fiber optic products, I gladly accepted.

FKUYUNQJYZ1FG7E LARGE

The design constraints of this one were challenging, as it had to be one size fits all, appeal to a wide audience, and of course show off the product. After some back and forth we decided on a set of wings, which gave me an excuse to execute on a design idea I’ve had for a long time.

I love the silhouette and drama of wings, but structural pieces have their drawbacks. I’ve damaged my fair share of wings in a cab, and had a hard time making my way through a crowd or not worn them for fear of injuring someone in a crowd. They are also generally cumbersome to pack and often stay at home because it’s not worth a whole suitcase for a single costume piece. With these pitfalls in mind I took advantage of the fibers themselves to create the winged shape while keeping the base pretty minimal, which allows for easy transport and mobility with all the impact of a large set of wings. While there are some things I would change for next time, I’m pretty happy with how they turned out!

Find a detailed supplies list and instructions here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Fiber-Optic-Wings/


Flora breadboard is Every Wednesday is Wearable Wednesday here at Adafruit! We’re bringing you the blinkiest, most fashionable, innovative, and useful wearables from around the web and in our own original projects featuring our wearable Arduino-compatible platform, FLORA. Be sure to post up your wearables projects in the forums or send us a link and you might be featured here on Wearable Wednesday!



from Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! https://ift.tt/2qhshJb
via IFTTT