A rotary dial phone revival #VintageElectronics #BadgeLife #MicroPython #Upcycling

The Robotics / Electronics / Physical Computing blog posts an interesting series of posts converting a rotary dial telephone into an electronic mobile phone using an EMF badge programmed in MicroPython.

(This is) a series, based around this ’70s Rotary Dial Phone from Eastern Europe. I inherited it from my grandad when he passed away a couple of years ago. This is the same phone that I remember from when I was a kid and would play with at my grandparents’ house…

The new brain for the transplant will be a Tilda Mk4 EMF 2018 badge (if you don’t know what EMF is, then please go and check it out, I can’t recommend it highly enough !). The main reason is obvious, this badge is actually a mobile phone ! In addition, it also runs MicroPython which should make its programming and use a breeze… or so I thought initially.

The work is documented in four blog posts and three YouTube videos:

See the posts here.

2019.09.07_TestingDialerToTilda4