Toys That Made Us Creator Praises Secret Hero Of Your Favorite Cartoons

When you think about great kid's shows from the 1980s and '90s, GI Joe, Power Rangers, Transformers, My Little Pony, X-Men: The Animated Series, Fraggle Rock, and others probably come to mind. However, what most people don't know is that one person had a hand in bringing all of those to television, Margaret Loesch.

If you're an avid viewer of Netflix's docuseries The Toys That Made Us, then you've seen her pop up before. And in Season 3--which just hit the streaming service--Loesch is interviewed in-depth for her work on Power Rangers. In an interview with GameSpot, Toys That Made Us creator Brian Volk-Weiss discussed learning about just how much Loesch had worked on.

"One of the things that surprised me the most, and it's not specific to a toy or a toy line, but Margaret Loesch," explained Volk-Weiss. "It was just so weird to me that here's this woman, who was so influential on so much stuff that I was into as a kid--and people our age were into--and nobody knew who she was. I ended up interviewing her three separate times. But I remember at the first interview with her saying, 'I did this, and I did that. And I did this, and I did that.' And in my head I'm like, 'This woman's full of s***.' It's like, Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader. He's Luke's father, and he built C-3PO? Come on.

"There's no way one person did all that. I did probably a dozen hours of research and found out every single thing she said was true. And there's actually a lot of stuff she's also done that she didn't mention. And I said to her the second time I saw her, 'Why are there people who have done 1% of what you have, and they're famous and they're doing conventions, and you're not?' And she's like, 'Honestly, I always thought the work should speak for itself, and maybe I should have hired a publicist and I didn't.' And so, just me, and we're actually doing a full scale two-hour documentary, just about her right now, that we're self financing. So, getting to meet her, know her, was absolutely one of the greatest things in my entire life."

Loesch appears in Season 3 of Netflix's The Toys That Made Us discussing working with Stan Lee while trying to make the Power Rangers show. The latest offerings of the comedic docuseries contains that episode, and others that focus on My Little Pony, wrestling toys, and the best episode to date, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

All three seasons of The Toys That Made Us are available to stream on Netflix.