Becoming a Full-Time Photographer: A Conversation with Victor Cheng

Victor cheng profile winding street 1

Via PassionPassport

Victor Cheng is the photographer behind the popular Instagram account @veeceecheng, where he posts colorful, eye-popping images from around the world. Although Victor previously worked at a creative agency, he recently left his job to become a full-time content creator. Eager to learn about his inspirations, process, and transition period, we caught up with Victor and asked him a few questions.

WHEN DID YOU BEGIN TAKING PHOTOS, AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HONE YOUR SKILLS ALONG THE WAY?

Years ago, I loved taking random photos, but I was just borrowing a camera from my dad’s friend, and I was unsure of how to share the images. When Instagram was introduced for Android, I downloaded the app to see what the buzz was all about, and I was instantly hooked. I quickly shifted toward mobile photography, and Instagram became an everyday habit of mine. Not long after that, I got an iPhone 5 and started taking more photos of my daily life. It became a side hobby — some friends and I would meet up over the weekend and go on a photo walk to explore a new part of town. Eventually, I learned a lot of the technical terms related to photography, largely thanks to photo-editing apps. I drew a lot of inspiration from the first people I followed by looking at their feeds, and I began to see areas for improvement in my own work. To this day, I still value what I learned about symmetry, lighting, and composition in those early days.

read the full interview!