Memory Collection and Analysis, part II

Based on my last post, I wanted to throw some quick tests together and see how things worked out...here's the results of what I found...

So, first off, I wanted to run ManTech's mdd...or memdd.exe, as it were. That worked out very well...ended up with a nice output file after running memdd.exe (renamed to mdd.exe) version 1.1:

06/17/2008 10:51 AM 23,520 mdd.exe 06/17/2008 10:56 AM 3,210,854,400 test.dmp

Next, I ran winen.exe, the tool available from GSI, as part of the EnCase 6.11 install (yes, I am a "dongled", licensed user). As I was running this on a Windows XP SP2 system with 2.99GB of RAM (4GB on the board) and used the defaults in the configuration file (except for where I was required to make an entry), I ended up with a total of five .E0x files. I then opened the .EO1 file as an evidence item in FTK Imager Lite v2.5.1 and, as expected, Imager did not recognize the file system. However, Imager appears to have read the EWF header info just fine, because it recognized what I had entered into the config file.

So I then chose Create Disk Image from Imager's File menu item, and chose Image File from the Select Source dialog. During the process of selecting options, I chose to have Imager output the image in 2000MB files (as opposed to the default 640MB file sizes used by winen). This resulted in two image files (winen.001 and .002), which I then cat'd together using the type command on Windows into a single file (winen.bin):

06/17/2008 01:18 PM 2,097,152,000 winen.001
06/17/2008 01:19 PM 1,113,702,400 winen.002
06/17/2008 01:42 PM 3,210,854,400 winen.bin

Notice that the file size for the final winen.bin file is the same as the test.dmp file created using mdd. Very cool.

Now...what to do with it? Well, that's where Volatility 1.1.1 comes in...I grabbed ActivePython, installed it, and was up and running with Volatility 1.1.1 in no time! I was able to view the process list, run the 'dlllist' command to get modules and the command line for each process, etc...all very cool stuff. Volatility worked very well on both memory dumps...not just the winen/FTK one, but the mdd RAM dump, as well.

So what's next? Well, I'd like to see about digging a bit deeper into the dumps, including:

- As Moyix discussed, enumerating Registry hives (or just keys and values) from memory
- Run Andreas's PTFinder against the memory dump and develop graphs of the processes using Richard McQuown's PTFinderFE
- Attempt to do file carving via scalpel

Anything else? What's in your wallet? =)

Take aways from this...it's likely that like linen, winen.exe will show up on IR tools distros...but you're not restricted to using EnCase to perform analysis of the memory dumps produced by such tools. Using free tools, you can convert the .E0x files to a dd-style format, and then use other freely available tools to parse through the memory dumps.

Addendum: Got this from someone who ran kern.pl on a memory dump from XP SP3 recently...

File Description : NT Kernel & System
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Internal Name : ntkrnlmp.exe
Original File Name :
Product Name : Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Product Version : 5.1.2600.5512

Pretty sweet, eh?

If you're using winen.exe to collect the contents of RAM and you're also using EnCase, you might want to check out these EnScripts from TK_Lane that will pull process information from the .EOx files. I haven't tried them yet, but thanks, TK, for providing them!