How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Giving a Talk


I’ve attended many conferences in my time and watched every single speaker with admiration, because just the thought of getting up and talking to an audience myself leaves me in a cold sweat. However, at the beginning of October I gave my first ever talk at a local PHP user group and I actually enjoyed it! Riding high on that sense of achievement, I’d like to outline why I think speaking is a good thing, why everyone should try it, and how to get started. Whilst we were discussing our first company retreat back in 2015, Brad asked if anyone wanted to speak at WordCamp Miami, the conference the retreat was planned around. Speak!? At a conference?! My brain immediately went into fight-or-flight response mode and, like the rest of the team, I politely declined. Brad had spoken at the previous year’s WordCamp in Miami, a Boston meetup, and along with hosting a podcast and being a respected WordPress community member, speaking seemed like a natural fit for him, but for me, no way!
Why On Earth Would You Want To Speak?
So by no means am I an introvert, but I certainly wouldn’t call myself an extrovert. Talking to a group bigger than 5 normally rattles my nerves somewhat,
Source: https://managewp.org/articles/13793/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-giving-a-talk




source https://williechiu40.wordpress.com/2016/11/08/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-giving-a-talk/