How On-Demand TV Changed The Way I Watch Television

On-Demand TV

Here we go again. Another late night coming home from work. It seems like I never have any free time. Let alone time for watching television. Let’s face it, who has the luxury of a nine to five career? In fact, I often bring work home. When I do get time off to be with friends, they are always discussing the latest trends, shows and movies. I have no idea what they are talking about and it makes me feel disconnected.

On the rare occasion I get to watch television, the only thing trending is CNN. I can’t take it anymore – the news is driving me crazy! Hearing another Donald Trump Twitter rant makes me want to pull my hair out. It’s not like I can relax and watch the latest episodes of Better Call Saul. These shows air during prime time.

For the longest time, I did not even watch television. I was tired of showing an interest in a series only to be held in suspense for weeks (or months) at a time. Instead, I would curl up with a good book and never finish it. That eventually got boring and I attempted to explore other avenues.

I tried crochet. It enhanced my creative side, but made me feel old. I now have about fifty granny squares lying around the house. None of them are connected either.

Next was a short stint with dubbed anime. As it turns out, I am not alone on this one. According to Techwack, adults watch dubbed anime because they get to relive their childhood. That explains a lot. I am the biggest kid. It was not all that bad. Anime helped me secure a friendship with Jeanne, the “computer geek girl” whose office is plastered with hundreds of creepy dark dolls. Hey, it’s always a good thing to have a friend in the IT department when you need stuff done. Besides, dark dolls are kind of awesome and so is anime. Secretly, I am starting my own collection.

Then, came on-demand television and changed the way I watch TV. Binge watching on Netflix is my new late night ritual, mostly because Orange Is The New Black and House of Cards are exclusive to it.

I am not much of a movie fan. I can barely last 45 minutes watching anything without falling asleep. Binge watching just makes life simpler for me, because I can schedule shows to meet my active lifestyle, I can fast forward to current episodes if I just want to catch up and it costs roughly ten dollars a month. With hundreds if not thousands of shows to watch, you cannot beat that.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not always watch the entire season. I sometimes just watch a few shows to get the gist of things. If I am not able to watch the entire series, at least I have an idea of what’s going on.

For the first time in a long time I feel a connection to everyone else and I don’t have to avoid social media.

Yes, I would avoid Facebook so I did not have to deal with spoiler alerts and reading posts that made no sense to me. Now, I can actively engage in conversations about things other than the size of Trump’s ego. I no longer feel a disconnect with my colleagues who talk incessantly about the latest episodes. I am certain that the stupid smile on my face as I nod in agreement doesn’t escape them. I don’t want to be the weird old lady in room 222, I want to be the go to gal.

People do not realize how isolated you can feel when you are not up to date with current trends. On-demand TV is helping me fill this gap. At least for now. Hopefully, Jeanne will update me on the next big breakthrough in technology.

The post How On-Demand TV Changed The Way I Watch Television appeared first on Lifehack.



from Lifehack http://ift.tt/2iQFhg0
via IFTTT