9 STEM-focused picture books for young children #MakerEducation

Mi pham 151954 unsplash

Great list from SYFY WIRE.

My nephew just turned 3, and I can tell he’s inherited my sister’s (and my) love for reading. I got my love of books from her, so it makes sense that she’d pass it down to her oldest child. Whenever I see him, I make sure to have an ample stash of picture books that will draw his interest and that he’ll enjoy.

As he’s getting older, though, I want to make sure the books I buy have a good message for him. For example, I try to buy books with female main characters because I don’t ever want him to think that boys don’t read books about girls (a harmful stereotype that fosters sexist attitudes). And as an advocate for young people learning about STEM and becoming interested in STEM fields, I want to make sure that he is exposed to these ideas at a young age. The last time I went to visit, I researched STEM-focused picture books I could read with him. These books would make great gifts for the children in your life or are perfect to read with your own children.

Read more.


Adafruit_Learning_SystemEach Tuesday is EducationTuesday here at Adafruit! Be sure to check out our posts about educators and all things STEM. Adafruit supports our educators and loves to spread the good word about educational STEM innovations!



from Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! https://ift.tt/2u8yt4L
via IFTTT